20 June 2007

Bloomsday

For the non-Irish or non-Joyce fans, Bloomsday is June 16th and is a celebration of James Joyce, his book "Ulysses" and the characters therein. Last year, for my own Bloomsday project, I decided to try and read "Ulysses". As a stream of consciousness novel, it can be quite difficult to get through.

I came across a really good audiobook of "Ulysses" on audible.com and decided to give it a try. It was great! It's much easier to listen to a stream of consciousness novel than to actually read it.

Still, it was no easy task. 22 CDs makes for one long listen. I listened on my summer vacation, I listened on my trip to Ireland last fall, I listened commuting to work when I started temping, I listened, and I listened.

Today, I finished it! Just a few days past Bloomsday this year! Woo Hoo!

Now I can concentrate on those other books I started when I couldn't take "Ulysses" any more!

No comments: