25 March 2007

Mount Vernon

Our next to last day in DC. We slept in and by the time we were ready to leave it was 11am. We headed to Mount Vernon.

It was closer than we thought, only 20 minutes. It was also the first time we paid admission to see a site here (except for the advance fee at the Washington Monument).

It was cool, literally, overcast and one of the colder days of the trip. There was a 45 minute wait to get in to the house. Unlike Williamsburg, the docents were not in period dress and spoke just like us.

The whole visit took three hours, including SHOPPING! It was by far the best shopping opportunity of the trip and I couldn't make up my mind which souvenir I wanted for myself. I finally settled on the Annual Christmas Ornament which commemorates the 275th anniversary of the birth of George Washington. I always knew I liked George, but I have a special fondness for Martha now that I know we have the same taste in dishes (blue & white all the way!).

On the way home, we passed the most enormous Krispy Kreme store I had ever seen. My companion on this adventure had been craving doughnuts since the drive home from the first Pete Yorn show so we pulled in and bought doughnuts for our hosts. Neither of us is a huge fan of Krispy Kremes, but we figured the boys would like them. The featured doughnut was 100% Whole Wheat. I could almost justify that on my High-Fiber diet so I tried one. Very delicious.

We were trying to decide where to eat lunch (at 3pm) when our host called to see if we wanted to have dinner together late this evening. We said yes, of course, and that did help us decide where & what to eat for lunch.

We have been thinking about Arlington after lunch, but by the time we were finished it was 4pm and too late to really see anything once we got through traffic.

So we went back to the house to relax for a while. This is supposed to be a vacation, right?

So now the plan is to see Arlington on our way to Baltimore tomorrow to fly home. If we have time, we will also try to visit the National Archives.

I definitely plan to return to DC some day.

No comments: