10 September 2007

Diet Update

Everyone who knows me knows that I have struggled with my weight for my entire life. Largely due to a medical condition I have had since childhood and the lifelong treatments, my growth was stunted and my metabolism and liver suffered damage. On top of that is my genetic pre-disposition to be overweight. So it's not been easy to try and lose weight.

When I turned 40, I decided that I would stop depriving myself and instead decided to focus on improving my health. I started walking regularly and I also started cutting back on all things fried.

I also threw out my scale, only getting weighed once in awhile - at the doctor's office or at the studio nurse. I hadn't gotten weighed since being laid off in January, but this weekend I weighed myself on my new roommate's digital scale.

I have lost 25 pounds since last November. That is approximately 2 pounds per month. I am very proud of myself and just had to toot my own horn by posting it in my blog.

The great part is that it hasn't been that hard because my friends and family are so supportive. My softball coach invited me to join his "good health pool" which I did. I tied for 1st last month and split the jackpot! My walking buddy called and said she missed walking with me after work (since the layoff) and could we try it and meet on weekends or a couple evenings a week. A co-worker shared her before pics with me, told me how hard it was for her to lose weight, but how she persisted and had managed to keep it off.

So thanks to all of you and to my determination, I have this small victory. Onward!

No comments: